This Italian capsicum stew is the perfect side dish to grilled meats
4 chicken breasts with skin left on (1.2kg)
1 tbs olive oil
Roasted quartered small potatoes, to serve
Fresh parsley, to garnish
3 large red capsicums (700g)
3 medium yellow capsicums (600g)
1 large onion
1/4 cup olive oil
3 large cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup water
2 tbs red wine vinegar
2 tsp caster sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. To make peperonata, cut capsicums from the stem tops to the base, into quarters. Cut away membranes. Discard seeds. Cut lengthways into 1 1/2cm-wide slices. Cut onion in half, then cut halves into ½cm-wide slices.
2. Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over a medium to low heat. Add capsicums, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 1 hour or until very soft. Stir n combined water, vinegar and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Boil, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat. Cover to keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, season chicken. Heat oil in a large, flameproof roasting pan over a medium to high heat. Add chicken, skin-side down. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until brown. Transfer pan to oven.
4. Cook in a hot oven (200°C) for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Rest for 5 minutes.
5. Serve chicken with peperonata and roasted baby potatoes. Garnish with parsley.
- Any coloured capsicums can be used in this recipe. Make sure it is cooked on a medium to low heat. Capsicums should soften without colouring.
- Peperonata can be made up to five days ahead. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat or even serve cold.
- Try serving peperonata as part of an antipasto plate or in salads.
- Choose capsicum with firm, glossy skin, free from blemishes. Store in a plastic bag in the crisper section of the fridge.
- Peperonata can be served as a filling with sliced deli meats, cheese, pesto and rocket leaves on fresh bread rolls.
- Turn peperonata into a canapé for your next party. Cook 2 x 60g packets petite vol-au-vents according to packet directions. Fill with 1/2 cup finely chopped peperonata. Sprinkle with 50g soft goat’s cheese. Garnish with herbs.
Shortie star Sally Martin is loving playing mum to little cutie Feleti