''Fat Girl Dancing'' videos go viral

February 7, 2014, 3:31 pm Christine Dominguez Yahoo!7

She weighs around 160kg, but that’s not going to stop Whitney Way Thore from showing off her impressive dance moves.

Fat Girl Dancing videos go viral
Women's
Rating:

Like Yahoo NZ Lifestyle on Facebook or follow us on Twitter

Photo: YouTube

Whitney Thore is on a mission to banish body shaming, through dance

Blogger and radio producer Whitney Thore began dancing at age four, and taught up until she was a teenager. During university the 59kg dancer was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome, leading to 90kg weight gain - and ultimately hung up her dancing shoes.

"Unable to face my reflection, I failed out of dance class my first semester," Thore told the Huffington Post. "By the time I had graduated college, been diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome, moved to Korea, and gained 200 pounds, I was finally able to dance socially, at a club or party, but never dreamed I would take a class or perform publicly ever again."

Today Thore is dancing to a different tune. As part of her No Body Shame Campaign, Thore released a YouTube video series self-titled “Fat Girl Dancing” in a bid to banish the "fat" label and promote "aggressive self-love". The video series which show Thore wildly showing off her incredible dancing talent has now gone viral.

Her powerful campaign aims to inspire other women to embrace their body - curves and all. "I am fully dedicated to supporting fellow women in ridding ourselves of shame, and showing that I am NOT ashamed of my body," she told the Huffington Post.

“My intelligence, personality, talents, and contributions do not fluctuate with the numbers on a scale,” she writes on her blog.

“I am unwaveringly me, and the same goes for you. No matter what you’re struggling with, embrace what you have to offer, love yourself right this minute an start affecting positive change for yourself and others.”

Posting her videos on her Facebook page has skyrocketed Thore's popularity. “Instead of posting a link to YouTube, I embedded the video directly into Facebook,” she told The Daily Mail.

“This allowed it to become more visible and reach more people through the 150k+ shares!”

Photo: YouTube

Photo: YouTube

Related:

Woman too fat for bikini

Show:
Newest First
Oldest First
Top Rated
Most Replies

22 Comments

1. lynley05:29pm Sunday 09th February 2014 NZDTReport Abuse

thank you, she rocks, I needed a smile today.

2. Tom06:50am Sunday 09th February 2014 NZDTReport Abuse

awesome

3. Yvonne irene b09:31am Saturday 08th February 2014 NZDTReport Abuse

Even I can't move like that, she is awesome. Good way to loose the weight.

4. Donald11:27pm Friday 07th February 2014 NZDTReport Abuse

These videos have not gone "viral". More sensationalizing by the Yahoo media conglomeration.

5. Damian10:20pm Friday 07th February 2014 NZDTReport Abuse

No shame!

6. Michelle09:12pm Friday 07th February 2014 NZDTReport Abuse

awesome dancing you go girl

7. Max09:07pm Friday 07th February 2014 NZDTReport Abuse

Good for her ,nice to see someone so confident and comfortable with herself. With a little care with what she eats and dancing she will be re shaping herself in no time.

8. martin07:39pm Friday 07th February 2014 NZDTReport Abuse

It was hard to watch, because she to up my hole screen! HaHaHa

9. 07:21pm Friday 07th February 2014 NZDTReport Abuse

damn she can move thats awesome :D

10. Tonestar07:16pm Friday 07th February 2014 NZDTReport Abuse

Good on her, if she carrys on like that she will do well.

Daily Horoscope

Select your horoscope

Aries Mar 21 - Apr 20

THE WEEK AHEAD - YOUR ASTROLOGICAL HEADS-UP:

This calendar looks at the main astrological alignments for the week, giving you advance notice...

Edit your profile to update your star sign.