Lessons from the world's ugliest woman

September 14, 2012, 10:14 am Lylah M. Alphonse shine.yahoo.com

"Stop Staring and Start Learning"

Lessons from the world s ugliest woman
Rating:

When she was in high school, Lizzie Velasquez was dubbed "The World's Ugliest Woman" in an eight-second-long YouTube video.

Born with a medical condition so rare that just two other people in the world are thought to have it, Velasquez has no adipose tissue and cannot create muscle, store energy, or gain weight. She has zero percent body fat and weighs just 27 kilograms.

In the comments on YouTube, viewers called her "it" and "monster" and encouraged her to kill herself. Instead, Velasquez set four goals: To become a motivational speaker, to publish a book, to graduate college, and to build a family and a career for herself.

Now 23-years-old, she's been a motivational speaker for seven years and has given more than 200 workshops on embracing uniqueness, dealing with bullies, and overcoming obstacles. She's a senior majoring in Communications at Texas State University in San Marcos, where she lives with her best friend. Her first book, "Lizzie Beautiful," came out in 2010 and her second, "Be Beautiful, Be You," was published earlier this month.

"The stares are what I'm really dealing with in public right now," she told Dr. Drew Pinsky in an interview on CNN's Headline News this week. "But I think I'm getting to the point where… instead of sitting by and watching people judge me, I'm starting to want to go up to these people and introduce myself or give them my card and say, 'Hi, I'm Lizzie. Maybe you should stop staring and start learning'."

Velasquez was born in San Antonio, Texas; she was four weeks premature and weighed just 2 pounds, 10 ounces. "They told us they had no idea how she could have survived," her mother, Rita, 45, told the Daily Mail. "We had to buy doll's clothes from the toy store because baby clothes were too big." Doctors warned Rita and her husband, Lupe, that their oldest child would never be able to walk or talk, let alone live a normal life. (Her two younger siblings were not affected by the syndrome.)

Instead, she has thrived. Her internal organs, brain, and bones developed normally, though her body is tiny. Since she has no fatty tissue in which to store nutrients, she has to eat every 15 to 20 minutes to have enough energy to get through the day. One brown eye started clouding over when she was 4 years old, and now she's blind in that eye and has only limited sight in the other.

"Some days life doesn't make sense," she writes in "Be Beautiful, Be You." "You just have to change what you can, ask for help and pray about the rest."

She notes her triumphs and posts inspirational messages on Tumblr, and says that she's learned to embrace the things that make her unique. Instead of trying to retaliate against people who have made her feel badly, she sets goals for herself and pushes herself to succeed in spite of the haters. She's even reclaimed YouTube, video blogging about everything from bullying to hair-styling tips to staying positive.

"I feel really glad that I don't look like the celebrities out there that are so beautiful," she told Dr. Drew. "There's a lot of stereotypes attached to that." Not looking like a supermodel "gives people the opportunity to know you personally," she explains. "If they're willing to take that extra step they'll get to know the person you really are."

Of course, the horrible comments left on that old YouTube video stung (the video has since been removed, but Velasquez says she read every single comment). Now, she says, she understands that they're "just words."

"I'm human, and of course these things are going to hurt," she said. "Their judgements of me isn't who I am, and I'm not going to let these things define me."

"I didn't sink down to their level," she said in a follow-up video on YouTube last year. "Instead, I got my revenge through my accomplishments and determination. In the battle between the 'World's Ugliest Woman' video vs. me, I think I won."

Show:
Newest First
Oldest First
Top Rated
Most Replies

88 Comments

1. MadDog09:09am Monday 19th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

wow life can be ugly sometimes, especially something spawned from satan!

2. Stephen John06:54am Sunday 16th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Americans will write anything to get your attention. 'Ugliest woman in the world' I wonder if she can sue. At very least, she's been maligned.

3. G.I. Grania03:48am Sunday 16th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

There is a whole marketing industry out there that makes lots of money off peoples insecurities. Get rid of advertising and you get rid of the problem. The richest person in New Zealand owns an advertising agency and that is a waste of charitable trust money. Christchurch City Council gave St Johns Ambulance one million dollars of money earmarked from earthquake donations, for 'the people' of christchurch. Next thing you know St Johns Ambulance is doing 'self promotion advertising on the television and wasting all the money. St Johns Ambulance needs auditing.

4. G.I. Grania03:48am Sunday 16th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

5. Richard02:48am Sunday 16th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I dont see her being ugly on or in her, the word ugly is in it self ugly. the only ugly i see is from ugly comments, i guess it comes from being self centered..

6. John11:11pm Saturday 15th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

What a truly extraordinary woman. She puts vast majority of us to shame. How can people judge her in such a nasty way, when they have not even met this woman. This woman possesses more than all the mnasty people could ever hope to achieve in 10 life times. Great desire and determination, and the most incredible inner beauty. For all you nasty lowlifes out thre that have the gall to judge this person without knowing her ARE the truly ugly ones - not her

7. Rich10:26pm Saturday 15th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

ugly #$%$ I know some females where I live that would give her a run for the worlds uglest they look like fell out of the top of the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way to the ground and then landed face down on the cement

8. Rex08:47pm Saturday 15th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

In general humans are very shallow creatures, we kill in the name of religion, we create climates of fear to control the masses or to distract from real issues. We are inward looking, superficial and self centered. Lack of empathy and the lack of ability to look further than the self serving wants of the individual or the peer group is the most abhorrent thing about being part of being of whats called human. Even I am tainted by my genes but to deny this can make you the reason the world is like this. This woman is a reminder to me that she understands what we are or why would she even try to educate the human sheep.

9. Angela08:19pm Saturday 15th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I don't see ugly i see the worlds strongest women. Good on you for living your life may we all learn from you

10. Wilson07:35pm Saturday 15th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

It sucks to learn about those people who posted negative comments on that Lizzie's video on You Tube. I rate them brainless and idiots. To Lizzie, truly you are an inspiration. God bless you.

Aries Mar 21 - Apr 20

THE WEEK AHEAD - YOUR ASTROLOGICAL HEADS-UP:

This calendar looks at the main astrological alignments for the week, giving you advance notice

...read more

Edit your profile to update your star sign.