World’s first anti-wrinkle pill may actually work

September 23, 2011, 11:23 am Joanna Douglas shine.yahoo.com

World’s first anti-wrinkle pill may actually work
Rating:

Many of us have tried rubbing anti-aging creams on our faces and bodies to eliminate wrinkles, but what if taking a pill could yield better results? New Scientist is reporting that a new three-a-day "gene food" capsule may be a more affordable, less painful alternative to Botox, and possibly the first pill of its kind to succeed in banishing wrinkles from the inside out.

Scientist John Casey and his team at the Unilever labs in Sharnbrook, UK are using natural food extracts like vitamin E, vitamin C, omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids from fish oil, isoflavones from soya, and lycopene to activate genes that smooth out skin. According to New Scientist, prior to menopause, oestrogen production declines and proteases enzymes work harder, which removes elastic collagen faster than it is replaced.

Oestrogen receptors are also not working as well, which slows down collagen production. Overall this makes the skin wrinklier, but the extracts in these pills with change the behavior of certain genes and keep the collagen coming.

Unilever commissioned four different research groups to test the pills along with 480 post-menopausal women in the UK, France, and Germany. New Scientist was shown physical results after women took the pill three times a day for 14 weeks: crow's feet are said to become 10% shallower on average during that time, although some testers found a 30% decrease in wrinkles. Researchers advise taking the pills for at least three months to see the best results.

Overall, researchers feel optimistic about the new drug and the double-blind testing that's been done thus far. "What matters is the clinical data, and they show there are reduced wrinkles in the treated group," Richard Weller, a dermatologist at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, UK, told New Scientist. "I'm not aware of any [other] oral treatments that do this." David Sarwer of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, told New Scientist that the results thus far are great but "we need a number of studies in this area, with similar results and published in the peer-reviewed literature, before we have a sufficient body of evidence to suggest that these supplements positively impact facial appearance."

Nichola Rumsay of the Centre for Appearance Research at the University of the West of England in Bristol told New Scientist that while a pill like this would be less invasive than plastic surgery, we shouldn't necessarily be viewing wrinkles as something that need to be eradicated. "We should be accepting wrinkles gracefully. Someone should develop a pill to stop people worrying about their appearance," she said. "That would make people a lot happier."

Unilever will launch the capsules next month in 44 spas that it co-owns in the UK, Spain and Canada, and they don't need any special approval since the extracts used are already in use and the company isn't claiming they benefit your health. It will be interesting to see how well the pills sell, and if they make it to the rest of the world soon after.

Show:
Newest First
Oldest First
Top Rated
Most Replies

6 Comments

1. Karen11:36am Friday 14th October 2011 ESTReport Abuse

You can get collagen tablets cheaper from Silberhorn.co.nz. I am 63 & don't have grey hair, I have taken evening primrose tablets since the age of 28 - so maybe...great skin too.

2. 05:14pm Friday 23rd September 2011 ESTReport Abuse

Can someone from Puraz please comment as I would also like to know. I was thinking of getting it but this is enough to change my mind.

3. ancient-one05:14pm Friday 23rd September 2011 ESTReport Abuse

Pretty much the only way not to get wrinkles is: stay out of the sun, never have a facial expression, never talk and find a way to stop gravity working on you. For goodness sakes, enjoy the wrinkles and grey hair, I regard my own as experience markers.

4. Rob04:53pm Friday 23rd September 2011 ESTReport Abuse

Far out !!!! Who cares - wrinkle away - no big disgrace unless you are totally egotistical and narcistic - its called AGE - then you die

5. POPCORN04:38pm Friday 23rd September 2011 ESTReport Abuse

I was thinking the very same thing does this mean that Puraz is all rubbish and I have wasted money for nothing. I would like someone who has used Puraz to actually confirm this product works I have only used it for two weeks I can't see any difference. My be it means this product Puras is in NZ and Aussie only. I hope so.

6. 02:36pm Friday 23rd September 2011 ESTReport Abuse

'Richard Weller, a dermatologist at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, UK, told New Scientist. "I'm not aware of any [other] oral treatments that do this."' (third from last paragraph). Does that mean that Puraz doesn't actually work, or does it mean that nobody outside of NZ knows about it? They seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to replicate eating a couple of pills containing cow collagen. Or am I missing the point entirely?

Daily Horoscope

Select your horoscope

Taurus Apr 21 - May 21

Taureans who just want to get away from it all shouldn't have to wait too much longer. Or, perhaps, the opposite is true and all you want to do is...read more

Edit your profile to update your star sign.