Comfort Food at it's best.
1 tbs vegetable oil
10 thin beef sausages
2 large onions, thinly sliced
Steamed green beans, to serve
Bottled balsamic glaze, to serve
2kg potatoes, peeled, chopped
25g butter, chopped
3/4 cup hot milk
2 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. To make creamy mash, boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender. Drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Mash potatoes. Add butter, 1/2 cup of the milk and mustard. Mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve 3 cups of the mashed potatoes for bubble and squeak. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
2. Add the remaining hot milk to remaining mash. Mix well. Cover to keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large frying pan. Add sausages. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned all over and cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper. Reserve 2 sausages for bubble and squeak
4. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Cut the remaining sausages in half. Cover to keep warm.
5. Heat remaining oil in same large frying pan. Add onions. Cook, stirring, over medium heat, until almost soft. Return sausages to pan with onions. Cook until sausages are hot. Season with salt andpepper.
6. Serve sausages and onions on creamy mash with steamed green beans. Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
Balsamic glaze is reduced balsamic vinegar, available in supermarkets. If you prefer, serve gravy over sausages, and stir chopped fresh herbs into the mashed potatoes instead of mustard.
This body refresher drink from Fern Green's Mocktail Manual hits all the right spots. The ginger helps to stimulate blood circulation, which will pick you up if you’re feeling low energy.February 9, 2016, 6:39 pm
This vitamin packed water from Fern Green's Mocktail Manual goes wonderfully with Thai or Indian food, as it’s both refreshing to drink and enhances the flavours of these cuisines. It’s also a pretty drink to serve as the coriander stems go curly when left in liquid overnight in the fridge.February 9, 2016, 6:30 pm
This blackberry, apple and mint juice from Fern Green's Mocktail Manual is fruity, vibrant, healthy and full of flavour.February 9, 2016, 6:10 pm
A take on the Venetian summer fizz that is made with Prosecco. Try this delicious alternative with non-alcoholic spicy ginger beer from Fern Green's Mocktail Manual .February 9, 2016, 6:04 pm
The nuttiness of peanut butter is really tasty in this smoothie from Fern Green's Mocktail Manual . It adds a bit of saltiness to the sweetness of the banana and chocolate... better than any chocolate bar!February 9, 2016, 5:54 pm