Tired of the same old dinners? Snazz up the menu and double the fun with sweet ginger marmalade and pickled ginger.
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1.5kg piece chuck beef
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 brown onion, cut into wedges
2 Tbsp brown sugar
¼ cup soy sauce
½ cup ginger marmalade
1L beef stock
2 Tbsp cornflour
2 Tbsp water
50g snow peas, trimmed
50g sugar snap peas, trimmed
100g green beans, trimmed
¼ cup Thai basil leaves
¼ cup coriander leaves
Sliced chilli, to serve
Bean shoots, to serve
Pickled ginger, to serve
Herbed rice, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180Â°C. Heat oil in a large, ovenproof, heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add beef and cook, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until browned all over. Remove beef from pan, transfer to a plate and set aside.
2. Add garlic and onion to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
3. Combine sugar, soy sauce and marmalade in a bowl and add to pan. Pour in stock and bring to the boil. Add beef and bring to the boil again. Cover and cook in oven for 1Â½ hours. Turn beef, cover and cook for a further 1 hour.
4. Transfer beef to a plate and cover with foil. Return pan to stovetop over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Combine cornflour and water in a small jug and stir into mixture in pan. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Add peas and beans and cook for a further 1 minute or until vegetables are just tender.
5. Shred beef with a fork and transfer to a large bowl. Add 1Â½ cups of the sauce and all vegetables, and toss to combine. Stir in basil and coriander.
6. Top beef mixture with chilli and serve with bean shoots, pickled ginger and herbed rice on the side.
To make herbed rice, simply stir thinly sliced spring onions and chopped coriander leaves into steamed rice.
Fast & fresh Asian MealsFebruary 26, 2015, 6:10 pm
Fast & fresh Asian MealsFebruary 26, 2015, 6:07 pm
Fast & fresh Asian MealsFebruary 26, 2015, 6:03 pm