Burrito means ‘little donkey’ in Spanish, because the neat parcels resemble the packs they carried. Here, tender beef and fresh flavours are a winning team.
1 Tbsp plain flour
1.2kg beef chuck steaks
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
30g packet taco seasoning mix
375g jar thick and chunky mild tomato salsa
400g can chopped tomatoes with tomato paste and roasted capsicum
1 cup beef stock
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
10 burrito tortillas, warmed, to serve
Grilled sliced chorizo, to serve
Guacamole, to serve
Sour cream, to serve
Cherry tomatoes, halved, to serve
Lime wedges, to serve Coriander leaves, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Put flour and beef on a large plate and toss to lightly coat.
2. Heat oil in a large, non-stick, ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat. Add beef and cook, in 3 batches, for 3 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer beef to a plate and set aside.
3. Add taco seasoning mix, salsa, canned tomato and capsicum, and stock to pan. Stir to combine. Add onion and garlic and bring to the boil. Add beef and bring to the boil. Cover and cook in oven for 1½ hours. Turn beef, cover and cook for a further 1 hour.
4. Transfer beef to a large wooden serving board and shred or finely slice. Return pan to stovetop and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until sauce has thickened and reduced by half.
5. Serve beef with tortillas, sauce, chorizo, guacamole, sour cream, cherry tomatoes, lime wedges and coriander leaves on the side.
For a gluten-free meal, leave out the tortillas or choose gluten-free tortillas that can be found in all supermarkets.
Mitch Orr of Sydney restaurant Acme created this delicious Alphabet Duck Soup recipe to celebrate Cloudy Bay ’s Pinot and Duck Trail, which officially launched on July 1.July 2, 2015, 6:02 pm
This Prawn and Burgundy Truffle Pasta, developed in conjunction with Aldi's special buys gourmet kitchen collection, is perfect for keeping you warm on a winter's night!June 26, 2015, 6:28 pm
This Immune Boosting Bone Broth recipe from aboutlife is sure to help fight colds and flu this winter.June 22, 2015, 4:18 pm
This Mi6 Belvedere martini recipe is a winner for World Martini Day with its refreshing, fragrant and zesty elements.June 18, 2015, 3:35 pm
Tangy, peppery, sweet and sour, this My Byrce Belvedere martini recipe tickles every taste bud.June 18, 2015, 2:22 pm