Burrito means ‘little donkey’ in Spanish, because the neat parcels resemble the packs they carried. Here, tender beef and fresh flavours are a winning team.
1 Tbsp plain flour
1.2kg beef chuck steaks
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
30g packet taco seasoning mix
375g jar thick and chunky mild tomato salsa
400g can chopped tomatoes with tomato paste and roasted capsicum
1 cup beef stock
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
10 burrito tortillas, warmed, to serve
Grilled sliced chorizo, to serve
Guacamole, to serve
Sour cream, to serve
Cherry tomatoes, halved, to serve
Lime wedges, to serve Coriander leaves, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Put flour and beef on a large plate and toss to lightly coat.
2. Heat oil in a large, non-stick, ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat. Add beef and cook, in 3 batches, for 3 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer beef to a plate and set aside.
3. Add taco seasoning mix, salsa, canned tomato and capsicum, and stock to pan. Stir to combine. Add onion and garlic and bring to the boil. Add beef and bring to the boil. Cover and cook in oven for 1½ hours. Turn beef, cover and cook for a further 1 hour.
4. Transfer beef to a large wooden serving board and shred or finely slice. Return pan to stovetop and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until sauce has thickened and reduced by half.
5. Serve beef with tortillas, sauce, chorizo, guacamole, sour cream, cherry tomatoes, lime wedges and coriander leaves on the side.
For a gluten-free meal, leave out the tortillas or choose gluten-free tortillas that can be found in all supermarkets.
Tender, meaty, sticky and smoky – these baked and basted ribs are the best things this side of the border. They’re pretty messy, so it’s perfectly acceptable to throw on a bib when getting stuck into these bad boys. Recipe from the Tooheys Cooking Handbook , $39.99, available now from booksellers and online retailers.August 31, 2015, 5:12 pm
There’s a good chance you saw the word paté and immediately left the page.If you’re still with us, good, because this isn’t your average fancy French stuff. Who would’ve thought that Tooheys Old and chicken livers would be such good mates? Recipe from the Tooheys Cooking Handbook, $39.99, available now from booksellers and online retailers.August 31, 2015, 5:06 pm
The best thing about this Beer Can Chicken recipe (besides the mouthwatering chicken) is finding out which tinny you reckon works best. Beer-basting the chook from the inside out provides what can only be described as ‘epicness’. Why are you still reading this? Go and fire up the barbie. Recipe from the Tooheys Cooking Handbook, $39.99, available now from booksellers and online retailers.August 31, 2015, 4:52 pm
This delicious creamy layered raw dessert by Model Chocolate blogger Abigail O’Neill must be experienced to be believed.August 27, 2015, 2:00 am
Naked Foods is an online store, a retailer and a wholesaler of bulk certified organic and natural foods minus the packaging, bringing to life the traditional way our grandparents used to shop. They work with Bondi Harvest, two lads who are known for their outdoor, scenic cooking videos.August 27, 2015, 2:00 am