Burrito means ‘little donkey’ in Spanish, because the neat parcels resemble the packs they carried. Here, tender beef and fresh flavours are a winning team.
1 Tbsp plain flour
1.2kg beef chuck steaks
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
30g packet taco seasoning mix
375g jar thick and chunky mild tomato salsa
400g can chopped tomatoes with tomato paste and roasted capsicum
1 cup beef stock
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
10 burrito tortillas, warmed, to serve
Grilled sliced chorizo, to serve
Guacamole, to serve
Sour cream, to serve
Cherry tomatoes, halved, to serve
Lime wedges, to serve Coriander leaves, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Put flour and beef on a large plate and toss to lightly coat.
2. Heat oil in a large, non-stick, ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat. Add beef and cook, in 3 batches, for 3 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer beef to a plate and set aside.
3. Add taco seasoning mix, salsa, canned tomato and capsicum, and stock to pan. Stir to combine. Add onion and garlic and bring to the boil. Add beef and bring to the boil. Cover and cook in oven for 1½ hours. Turn beef, cover and cook for a further 1 hour.
4. Transfer beef to a large wooden serving board and shred or finely slice. Return pan to stovetop and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until sauce has thickened and reduced by half.
5. Serve beef with tortillas, sauce, chorizo, guacamole, sour cream, cherry tomatoes, lime wedges and coriander leaves on the side.
For a gluten-free meal, leave out the tortillas or choose gluten-free tortillas that can be found in all supermarkets.
This body refresher drink from Fern Green's Mocktail Manual hits all the right spots. The ginger helps to stimulate blood circulation, which will pick you up if you’re feeling low energy.February 9, 2016, 6:39 pm
This vitamin packed water from Fern Green's Mocktail Manual goes wonderfully with Thai or Indian food, as it’s both refreshing to drink and enhances the flavours of these cuisines. It’s also a pretty drink to serve as the coriander stems go curly when left in liquid overnight in the fridge.February 9, 2016, 6:30 pm
This blackberry, apple and mint juice from Fern Green's Mocktail Manual is fruity, vibrant, healthy and full of flavour.February 9, 2016, 6:10 pm
A take on the Venetian summer fizz that is made with Prosecco. Try this delicious alternative with non-alcoholic spicy ginger beer from Fern Green's Mocktail Manual .February 9, 2016, 6:04 pm
The nuttiness of peanut butter is really tasty in this smoothie from Fern Green's Mocktail Manual . It adds a bit of saltiness to the sweetness of the banana and chocolate... better than any chocolate bar!February 9, 2016, 5:54 pm