Melted butter, for greasing
Plain flour, for dusting
3 x 340g packets golden buttercake mix
2kg white fondant
Pure icing sugar, for dusting
Lime green gel food colouring
Leaf green gel food colouring
2 tbs apricot jam, warmed, strained
12g piece soft licorice
1. Grease a 14-cup capacity glass Pyrex bowl. Dust with flour.
2. Prepare cake mixes, one at a time, according to packet directions. Pour all mixtures into bowl.
3. Cook in a moderate oven (180°C) for 1 hour, 30 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand for 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
4. Cut raised dome off the top of cake in one piece, so cake sits flat. Invert cake onto a cake board. From the centre of trimmed portion, cut a 7cm x 3cm rectangle measuring 3cm high. Reserve for the head.
5. Knead white fondant on a clean surface dusted with icing sugar until smooth. Tint 1.5kg fondant with lime green gel, kneading until smooth. Tint 250g white fondant with leaf green gel, kneading until smooth. Cover leaf green fondant and remaining white fondant with cling film wrap.
6. Roll 1kg lime green fondant between two sheets of baking paper into a 35cm circle, 5mm thick.
7. Brush jam over cake on board. Gently lift fondant onto cake. Smooth top and side. Trim excess from base. Knead excess until smooth. Brush head with jam.
8. Shape 2 tbs excess into a 9cm flat sausage. Lay over one end of head for cheeks. Roll out remaining lime green fondant until 3mm thick. Cover entire head. Trim.
9. To make tail, roll and shape a 200g piece lime green fondant into a 12cm length, thicker at one end. Insert a toothpick 3cm into thick end. Insert tail at the end of body.
10. To make neck, shape another 200g piece lime green fondant into a thick log. Join to body. Join head
to neck, as shown. Reserve 10g lime green fondant for claws.
11. To make legs, shape lime green fondant into four pieces. Stick to body, as shown. Make four small indents across each leg. Make 12 toenails using some white fondant. Join to tiny balls of reserved lime green fondant. Attach to legs.
12. Make two nostrils using lime green fondant. Stick on head, as shown.
13. Use white fondant to make a chain to go over dinosaur’s neck and small circles for the base of
eyes. Stick onto head. Sit pieces of licorice on top and drape with two small pieces of leaf green fondant for eyelids.
14. Roll out leaf green fondant between two sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Cut out 12 large triangular body spikes, six medium spikes for tail and seven smaller spikes for neck. Stick on dinosaur.
15. Knead trimmings. Roll out until 3mm thick. Cut out 4 x 4.5cm circles, 3 x 3cm circles and 4 x 2cm circles. Stick a 3cm circle on end of chain. Stick remaining circles on body. Roll tiny pieces into balls. Flatten and stick on head and neck for freckles.
Bake it to take itMarch 5, 2015, 4:44 pm
Bake it to take itMarch 5, 2015, 4:40 pm
Bake it to take itMarch 5, 2015, 4:37 pm
You can throw almost anything from the fridge into these ricotta tarts with their ready-made puff pastry crust.March 4, 2015, 3:29 pm