- Renovation & Decorating
- How To
- Health & Family
- Home Beautiful
1 tsp vanilla extractTo serve:300ml thickened cream
- A cooked, cooled, unfilled pavlova can be stored in a covered, airtight container at room temperature for up to two days.
- It’s best to fill pavlova just prior to serving as the meringue softens when standing.
1. Preheat oven to 150°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper and draw a 20cm-diameter circle on the paper. To separate the eggs, open the egg over a bowl, and tip the yolk back and forth between the shell halves, allowing the eggwhite to drip into the bowl. Ensure there’s no yolk in the whites because this prevents proper aeration. Put eggwhites and cream of tartar in a clean, dry bowl and beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
2. Add the sugar to the eggwhite mixture, 1 spoonful at a time, beating between each addition. Beat for 5-10 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and mixture is smooth, stiff and glossy.3. Sift cocoa and cornflour into a bowl. Add sifted mixture, vinegar and vanilla to the eggwhite mixture, then use a metal spoon to fold in until just combined. Spoon mixture onto circle on the prepared tray, forming into a mound.
4. Smooth the pavlova with a spatula. Make decorative grooves around the sides, then smooth the top again. Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 120°C. Bake for a further 1 hour and 40 minutes or until shell is pale and crisp. Turn off the oven and cool pavlova in oven with the door ajar. Stand at room temperature until cold.
5. Put the pavlova on a plate. Put the thickened cream and cocoa in a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Spoon the cream mixture on top of the pavlova, and sprinkle with the grated chocolate.- Use leftover egg yolks to make custards or mayonnaise.
- Once you have beaten the pavlova mixture, you must mould it into shape and bake it immediately. If it is left to stand, the air beaten into the eggwhites will be released, resulting in a flat, chewy pavlova.YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE TO TRY THIS RECIPE FROM KAREN MARTINI
- Top 10 Autumn bloomers
- Timber decks for outdoor living
- Keeping chickens at home
- Edible produce with delicious recipes
BONUS 32 page Before & After Kitchen Special
- Amazing kitchen Makeovers and clever solutions for every budget
- Design you bedroom for blissful sleep
- Bathroom style secrets
- Quick and healthy meals
- Exclusive bulb offer!
- Fabulous fake deco tips
- Best pizza recipe!
- How to give your front yard a face lift